In what probably will be the final stop on the “A Glimpse at New Schools” tour for 2009-10, I quickly wanted to bring your attention to KIPP Denver Collegiate High School, near West Alameda and Pecos. This August the public charter school opened with a group of 9th graders who are set to be its first graduating class in 2013 before moving on to their goal of college.
KIPP Denver Collegiate, conveniently located next door to the successful KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy middle school, is sharing space with Rishel Middle School (building pictured behind the famous “Knowledge Is Power” slogan from which the KIPP name derives).
I was going to give you more of a detailed lowdown on KIPP Denver Collegiate, but Denver Examiner charter school columnist Donnell Rosenberg already wrote an excellent piece. All the best to KIPP’s first Denver high school as the leaders and teachers work to help students reach college ready to succeed at the next level, and throughout their lives.
Other new schools featured:
- Westgate Community School (Northglenn)
- West Denver Prep II
- St. Vrain Community Montessori School
- Math and Science Leadership Academy (Denver)
- Cesar Chavez Academy Denver
- Jeffco’s 21st Century Virtual Academy
- Thomas MacLaren School (Colorado Springs)
- Montclair School of Academics and Enrichment (Denver)
- Atlas Preparatory Charter (Colorado Springs)
- Envision Leadership Prep (Denver)
- Animas High School (Durango)