April
25th 2011
Successful Arizona Blended Learning Charter Shows Colo. Can “Seize the Day”

Posted under Independence Institute & Innovation and Reform & Online Schools & PPC & Public Charter Schools & School Choice

I’m still recovering from an Easter candy “hangover,” so this post will not be filled with my usual in-depth analysis. Instead, I want you to check out a new School Reform News feature story by my Education Policy Center friend Ben DeGrow about a cutting-edge Arizona “blended learning” charter school that’s getting remarkable results:

Explaining the success of Carpe Diem Collegiate High School and Middle School requires more than simple answers, but the school’s innovations hold great promise for expanding educational excellence and opportunity.

With dozens of cubicles filling a large, open room, Carpe Diem resembles a corporate office more than a traditional school. Students in grades 6 through 12 sit at their individual stations as software loaded on their laptop computers guides them through core instructional material….

In addition to a physical education instructor and a special education teacher, Carpe Diem employs one instructor in each of five core subject areas to serve nearly 240 students enrolled in 2010-11. [link added]

Does that have your attention? Did that whet your appetite? You really need to read the whole piece to get a better picture of what’s going on, and to help see how Colorado could better welcome and support (hint: get out of the way!) effective and innovative blended learning entrepreneurs. Perhaps the article will inspire education transformers to Seize the Day and make a difference for current and future learners in our great state.

There’s more going on to get you started, though. My “inside” sources tell me that blended learning is the theme of a fully-booked Denver day-long conference this week, as well as the subject of an upcoming episode of The Devil’s Advocate… featuring a special guest host. Stay tuned!

10 Comments »

10 Responses to “Successful Arizona Blended Learning Charter Shows Colo. Can “Seize the Day””

1. More to the story on 01 May 2011 at 5:28 pm #

I know you are only five so I forgive you. You are missing the erasure problem associated with the school. OOPS! While I am here, I thought I would let you know DC schools also had an erasers gone wild scenario. Try googling USA Today and DC test scores. Googling Carpe Diem and erasures will clue you into that.

2. Eddie on 02 May 2011 at 1:25 pm #

“More to the story,” I’m only 5 but have to wonder if you are related to Andy Hanfmann? Anyway, yes, I’ve seen the link: http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2011/03/06/yuma-schools-methods-scores-stand-out/

Are you saying the school has cheated? I understand that word. Why not come out and say it? Because the allegation has not been substantiated, and because there is nothing here approaching a serious problem that would invalidate what the school has accomplished. So your insinuation was meant to…. ???

I believe in healthy skepticism. But there is more to be skeptical about in your lurking comment than in the results achieved at Carpe Diem. Come back when you have a lot more evidence that would invalidate the tremendous results shown by this school. And please don’t patronize me because I’m only 5.

3. Five years young on 17 May 2011 at 4:57 am #

Erasure rates seven times the average may be a concept too difficult for someone your age to comprehend. If you are so comfortable iwth the erasures, why was it excluded from the presentation? Perhaps being 5 is an excuse. Does it also signal a need to learn about fairness in reporting?? I look forward to your reporting on the erasure rates of the school.

4. Eddie on 17 May 2011 at 10:33 am #

Let me rephrase to help you understand: If I am so uncomfortable with the issue, why have I approved both of your comments and left them posted here for anyone to read? In other words, allowing you to post your observation constitutes “fairness in reporting.” But you sound like a broken record. I offer you as many chances as you need to indicate who you are and where you’re coming from, and to provide more evidence. Readers can judge for themselves how credible your case is, and whether you can get beyond subtle insinuation to make whatever point it is you are trying to make.

5. Five years young on 18 May 2011 at 3:38 am #

Five years young is early to see my point. I have been the one to add the erasure part of the story because you omitted such information. I am responsible for that insertion, not you. You reported only part of a picture. Isn’t incomplete information also propoganda?

6. Eddie on 18 May 2011 at 10:25 am #

Your comments about the alleged erasure rate omitted details and context that would allow a reasonable reader to judge the claim’s relative significance. You also omitted information about who you are and why you are insistent on raising this point to give readers another benchmark to evaluate what you say. So by your own anonymous standards, wouldn’t a reader have valid reason to think your postings here represent “propoganda” [sic] and/or hypocrisy?

7. Five years young on 21 May 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Wouldn’t it be propoganda to present incomplete information as you did? It matters not who I am but whether or not my information is accurate is important. I have not seen a definition of propoganda to include disclosure of identity, Please display such a definition. Please also display the need for identiity to avoid a call of hypocrisy relevantto this situation. If you can do either, I will be humbled by a five year old. Otherwise, you will have learned some vocabulary words.

8. Eddie on 23 May 2011 at 10:57 am #

You missed the point. Re-read my last comment. I was referring to your key omissions, not your anonymity, as the basis for suggesting you meet your own definition of propaganda — not “propoganda.” Most telling is your failure to address the issue at hand, deflecting and changing subjects instead. In that case, your actual identity is less important than your apparent inability to process a few sentences and your general lack of candor.

Any sensible person reading this exchange would be forced to conclude you are merely a gadfly with a narrow agenda (possibly to harm a school’s reputation?) and no interest in a serious discussion. I look forward to writing about this topic again in the near future.

9. Ed is Watching » Spreading Carpe Diem-Like Learning Success Requires Colorado Policy Changes on 17 Jun 2011 at 10:30 am #

[...] in April I brought your attention to Arizona’s cutting-edge, outstanding-results “blended learning” charter known [...]

10. Peoples Press Collective | Colorado Politics | Spreading Carpe Diem-Like Learning Success Requires Colorado Policy Changes : on 17 Jun 2011 at 11:00 am #

Trackback URI | Comments RSS